Design Matters Podcast: Debbie Millman & Book Designer Irma Boom
“The book is dead. Long live the book.”April 2, 2014
In this interview by Design Matters host Debbie Millman on Design Observer, book designer Irma Boom talks about why she doesn’t think the book is dead, how she designs, and much more.
Debbie Millman interviewed Boom earlier this year at a live event in New York in collaboration with Designers & Books and AIGA/NY.
The following biography of Boom is courtesy of Design Matters: Many of the most beautiful books to have been designed in recent years are the work of designer Irma Boom. Born in Lochem, the Netherlands in 1960, Boom has won international acclaim for the iconoclastic beauty of her books. Boom attended the AKI Art Academy in Enschede, Netherlands, where she studied graphic design. She then worked at the Dutch Government Publishing and Printing Office in The Hague for five years before founding Irma Boom Office in Amsterdam in 1991. She works both nationally and internationally in the cultural and commercial sectors; her clients include the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, Wiel Arets, Chanel, Paul Fentener van Vlissingen, Inside Outside, Museum Boijmans, Zumtobel, Ferrari, Vitra, NAi Publishers, and Camper. Since 1992 she has been a critic at Yale University in the USA, and has both lectured and given workshops worldwide. Her work has received many awards, and she is the youngest person to have ever been honored with a Gutenberg Prize.
In 2013, Debbie Millman produced a special series of podcasts in collaboration with Designers & Books featuring design book authors. Authors included Michael Rock, Sheila Bridges, Hartmut Esslinger, and others.
- Book Builder: A Conversation with Irma Boom
- Book List of the Week: Stefan Sagmeister
- 15 Books on China and Design
- The Paris Review: 60 Years of Substance and Style
- 5 Books Featuring Bruno Munari
- Win Copies of Books on Two Great Modernists: Adolf Loos and Paul T. Frankl
- 15 Books on Art Deco
- Book List of the Week: Carlo Ratti
- 4 Books on Adolf Loos
- Quote of the Day: Carlo Ratti & Smart Cities
- Win Copies of Fifty Years of Illustration and TM: The Untold Stories Behind 29 Classic Logos
- Win a Copy of Urban Acupuncture by Visionary Urbanist Jaime Lerner
- Designers & Books Curates a Book Fair @ Dwell on Design NY, October 9–11
- Win a Copy of Being: An Architect by Ian Ritchie
- Win Design Books at the Designers & Books Fair @Dwell on Design New York, Through Oct. 11