Arcana: Books on the Arts store photographs by Johnston Marklee
Gail Anderson illustration by Paul Davis
Aldo Bakker photography by Erik and Petra Hesmerg
Shigeru Ban photograph by Hiroyuki Hirai
Jonathan Barnbrook photograph by Teri Varhol
Barry Bergdoll photograph by Robin Holland
Jeffrey Bilhuber photograph by William Abranowicz
Ronan Bouroullec photograph by Ola Rindal
Tom Coward photograph by Eva Vermandel
Mels Crouwel photograph by Koos Breukel
Dominique Browning photograph by Brigitte Lacombe
Marion Fasel photograph by Craig Blankenhorn
Louise Fili photograph by Henry Leutwyler
Mark Fox photograph by Michael Friel
Emanuela Frattini Magnusson photograph by Mark Dellas
Daisy Froud photograph by Eva Vermandel
Jeanne Gang photograph by Chris Kitahara
Bruce Hannah photograph by Steve Thurston Design Studios
Steven Heller photograph by Nir Arieli
Steven Holl photograph courtesy Mark Heitoff
Lisa Jenks photograph by Chris Callis
Chip Kidd photograph by John Madere
Steve Kroeter photograph by Eric Van Speights
Vincent Lacovara photograph by Eva Vermandel
Christian Lacroix photograph by Patrick Swirc
Giuseppe Lignano photograph by Danny Bright
Zack McKown photograph by Brigitte Lacombe
McNally Jackson store photograph by Yvonne Books
Victoria Meyers photograph by Russell Baer, Los Angeles
Debbie Millman photograph by Maria Popova
Jasper Morrison photograph by Kento Mori
Juhani Pallasmaa photograph by Adolfo Vera
Peter Pennoyer photograph by Jay Ackerman
Katarina V. Posch photograph by Talisman Brolin
Michael Rock photograph © Brigitte Lacombe
David Rockwell photograph © Brigitte Lacombe 2014
Dan Rubinstein photograph by IWC Schaffhausen
Ralph Rucci photograph by Dietmar Busse
Zoë Ryan photograph by Randy Korwin
Witold Rybczynski photograph by Michael Graham
Geoff Shearcroft photograph by Eva Vermandel
Valerie Steele photograph by Aaron Cobbett
Matteo Thun photograph by Francesca Lotti
Adam Tihany photograph by Fabrice Trombert
Ada Tolla photograph by Danny Bright
Calvin Tsao photograph by Brigitte Lacombe
George Tscherny biography by Steven Heller (for the American Institute of Graphic Arts)
Billie Tsien photograph by Dorothy Alexander
Van Alen Books store photograph by Cameron Blaylock
Vincent Van Duysen photograph by Mark Segal
Comment Submission Policy: When using the Website and/or submitting a comment to the Website you agree that you will not: (i) knowingly submit or post false information or dishonest opinions; (ii) impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, a Designers & Books official, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity; (iii) forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any content transmitted through the Website or develop restricted or password-only access pages, or hidden pages or images (those not linked to from another accessible page); (iv) submit or otherwise transmit any content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information or proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements); (v) submit or otherwise transmit any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights of any party; (vi) submit or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation; (vii) submit or otherwise transmit any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment; (viii) interfere with or disrupt the servers or networks connected to the Website, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Website; (ix) engage in actions that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another's privacy or publicity rights, tortious, obscene, offensive, profane, or otherwise objectionable; (x) re-establish an account after your account has been terminated; (xi) use any automated or non-automated means to access, copy, or distribute any portion of the Website or collect any information from the Website, including without limitation, the use of so-called “robots”, “spiders”, “offline readers”, etc.; (xii) provide any content that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or other computer programming routines that are intended to damage, interfere with, intercept, or expropriate any system, data, or personal information; (xiii) customize the Website in a way that adversely affects the display of any advertising or promotional links on the Website; (xiv) modify or create variant versions of the Website’s logos or other trademarks; (xv) speak or act on behalf of the Website, including but not limited to, describing yourself as a Website employee, affiliate, or spokesperson for the Website; (xvi) post contact or personal information of any other person without their permission; (xvii) post sexually explicit materials; or (xviii) intentionally or unintentionally use the Website to violate any applicable local, state, national, or international law; (xix) collect or harvest any personally identifiable information, including account names and e-mail addresses; (xx) use the Website for commercial solicitation purposes; or (xxi) bypassing the measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Website.
Editorial Control: Subject to the “Copyright Agent” provision below, we reserve the right, but do not have an obligation, to monitor and/or review all materials posted by any and all users to the Website. We are not responsible for any such materials posted by users. You agree that any opinions, statements, or other material expressed, posted, or otherwise disseminated on or through the Website by visitors, account holders, or third parties are those of such parties and not ours, and we do not necessarily endorse any such opinion, statement or other material. We reserve the right at all times to disclose any information as necessary to satisfy any law, regulation, or government request, or to edit, refuse to post, or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part, that in our sole discretion is objectionable or in violation of the Terms and/or applicable state or federal law or regulation. We may remove any review or comment at any time for any reason (including, but not limited to, upon receipt of claims or allegations from third parties or authorities relating to such review or comment), or for no reason at all, with or without notice. We may also impose limits on certain features, restricting your access to part or the entire Website if it is believed that you may be in breach of the Terms, any applicable laws/regulations and/or for any other reason without notice or liability to us. Furthermore, it is acknowledged and agreed that, any actions taken by us to improve the user experience of the Website, including monitoring and/or reviewing all materials and subsequently editing, removing, or refusing to post such materials shall not be deemed to create any duty toward you nor shall it be deemed a basis for any liability against us.
Intellectual Property of the Website: All content on the Website and/or on e-mails distributed by us to you, including text, graphics, illustrations, logos, button icons, images, audio, videos, and music, and the selection and layout of such content is the exclusive property of Designers & Books or its licensors and is protected by U. S. and international copyright laws. All rights not expressly granted to you by us are reserved.
The trademarks, service marks, designs, and logos (collectively, the "Trademarks") presented on this Website and/or on e-mails sent to you are trademarks of Designers & Books or its licensors. Your use of the Trademarks displayed on this Website, except as provided in these Terms, is strictly prohibited.
Use of Website: You may use or download material displayed on this Website for noncommercial, personal use only. If you download material, you must retain all copyright and other proprietary notices displayed on the materials. You may not distribute, modify, transmit, post, or otherwise use the content of this Website and/or content contained in e-mails we distribute to you for public or commercial purposes without our written permission.
Reviews, Comments, and Other Submissions: You agree that any and all information that you submit to the Website, including without limitation any written review, comment, or other submission ("Materials"), is the exclusive property of Designers & Books and may be used, reproduced, modified, published, edited, translated, distributed, publicly performed, publicly displayed, derived into other works, or licensed to any third party without your prior approval, for any purpose and in any medium or technology now in existence or hereinafter conceived as we at our sole discretion see fit. You further agree that they shall not be entitled to any compensation as a result of Designers & Books’ use or licensing to any third party of the Materials you submit.
We take no responsibility and assume no liability for any Materials that you or any other Users or third parties post or send over the Website. You understand and agree that any loss or damage of any kind that occurs as a result of the use of Materials that you send, upload, download, stream, post, transmit, display, or otherwise make available or access through your use of the Website is solely your responsibility. You understand and acknowledge that you may be exposed to Materials that are inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable and you agree that we shall not be liable for any damages you allege to incur as a result of such Materials.
You represent and warrant that the Materials you submit do not violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party, including but not limited to, copyright, trademark, or proprietary rights. If non-original content is included in your posting, you must obtain permission from the content owner and attribute it.
You further represent and warrant that all Materials you post to the Website are in compliance with FTC Endorsement and Testimonial Guidelines.
Private or Sensitive Information: We strongly urge you not to post sensitive, personally identifiable contact information in any review or comment that may be accessible to users of the Website, including your home and/or business telephone number(s), e-mail address(es), or the address of your residence or place of business. Accordingly, we advise you to keep such personal information out of comments, descriptions, captions, and other publicly viewable text. Any posting of such personal information is done expressly at your own risk. Furthermore it is important to remember that comments submitted to the Website may be recorded and stored in multiple places, both on the Website and elsewhere. Therefore it is important that you are careful and selective about the personal information that you disclose about yourself and others. In particular, you should not disclose sensitive, embarrassing, proprietary, or confidential information when you post reviews and/or comments to the Website.
Eligibility: This Website is intended solely for users who are thirteen (13) years of age or older, and any registration, use, or access to the Website by anyone under 13 is unauthorized, unlicensed, and in violation of this Agreement. If you are under 18 years of age you may use the Website only if you either are an emancipated minor or possess legal parental or guardian consent, and are fully able and competent to enter into the terms, conditions, obligations, affirmation, representations, and warranties set forth in this Agreement, and to abide by and comply with this Agreement.
Copyright Agent: We respect the intellectual property rights of others, and require that the people who use the Website do the same. If you believe that the copyrights in and to your work(s) have been infringed, please forward the following information to our Copyright Agent at the following email address: email@example.com, (i) your address, telephone number, and e-mail address; (ii) a description of the copyright work(s) you claim has been infringed; (iii) a description of where the alleged infringing material(s) are located; (iv) a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or by law; (v) an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyrighted work(s); and (vi) a statement made by you, under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your note is accurate and that you are the copyright owner of the work(s) or are authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
Security: We have implemented commercially reasonable technical and organizational measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, or disclosure. However, we cannot guarantee that unauthorized third parties will never be able to defeat those measures or use your personal information for improper purposes. You acknowledge that you provide your personal information at your own risk.
Termination: Any violation of the Terms may result in the termination of your account or removal from Designers & Books’ products or services. Violating the Terms may also violate federal and state laws, including those of the State of New York.
No Warranties: The Website (including, without limitation, the content and user submissions) is provided "as is" and "as available" and is without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of title, non-infringement, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose, and any warranties implied by any course of performance or usage of trade, all of which are expressly disclaimed. Designers & Books, its directors, members, employees, agents, suppliers, partners, and content providers do not warrant that: (a) the content or user submissions are timely, accurate, complete, reliable, or correct; (b) the Website will be secure or available at any particular time or location; (c) any defects or errors will be corrected; (d) the content or user submissions are free of viruses or other harmful components; or (e) the results of using the Website will meet your requirements. Your use of the Website is solely at your own risk.
Furthermore, we do not warrant, endorse, guarantee, or assume responsibility for any product or service advertised or offered by a third party through our Website or any hyperlinked website or service, or featured in any banner or other advertising, and we will not be a party to or in any way monitor any transaction between you and third-party providers of products or services.
Limitation of Liability: To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, in no event shall Designers & Books or its directors, members, employees, agents, partners, suppliers, or content providers be liable to you under contract, tort, strict liability, negligence, or any other legal theory with respect to the Website or any content or user submissions: (i) for any lost profits, goodwill, or special, indirect, incidental, punitive, consequential, or exemplary damages of any kind whatsoever, substitute goods or services (however arising), (ii) for any bugs, viruses, Trojan horses, or the like (regardless of the source of origination), (iii) for any errors or omissions in any content or user submissions or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of your use of any content or user submissions posted, e-mailed, transmitted, or otherwise made available on or through the Website, (iv) for unauthorized access to or use of our secure servers and/or any and all personal information stored therein, (v) for any interruptions, cessations, delays, or failure of the Website to perform, (vi) for Materials or any other content posted, e-mailed, transmitted, or otherwise made available through the Website, including but not limited to, content that is defamatory, offensive, or illegal. In no event shall Designers & Books or its directors, members, employees, agents, partners, suppliers, or content providers be liable to you for any claims, proceedings, liabilities, obligations, damages, losses, or costs in an amount exceeding (in the aggregate) $10 (U. S.). Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations and exclusions may not apply to you.
The Website is controlled and operated from facilities located in the United States. We make no representation that the Website is appropriate or available for use in other locations outside the United States. Those who access or use the Website from other locations do so at their own volition and are entirely responsible for compliance with the local laws applicable to that location.
Indemnification: You shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Designers & Books, its affiliates, and each of its principals, directors, members, officers, employees, contractors, suppliers, agents, successors, assigns, and representatives from all liabilities, claims, and expenses, including reasonable attorneys' fees, that arise from your: (i) use or misuse of the Website; (ii) your access to the Website and violation of the Terms by you, including your breach of any representation and warranties; or (iii) the infringement by you, or any third party using your account, of any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity; (iv) violation of any law, rule, or regulation of the United States, any state or territory therein, or any country; or (v) posting of Materials or any other content of any kind to the Website, including postings made by third parties from your account. We reserve the right to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will assist and cooperate with us in asserting any available defenses.
Dispute Resolution: A printed version of the Terms and of any notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to the Terms to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form. You and we agree that any cause of action arising out of or related to the Website must commence within one (1) year after the cause of action arose; otherwise, such cause of action is permanently barred.
Governing Law: The Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, excluding its conflicts of law rules, and the United States of America. You expressly agree that the exclusive jurisdiction for any claim or action arising out of or relating to the Terms or your use of this Website shall be filed only in the state or federal courts located in New York County and you further agree and submit to the exercise of personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purpose of litigating any such claim or action. Use of the Website is not authorized in any jurisdiction that does not give effect to all provisions of the Terms, including without limitation, this section.
Integration and Severability: The Terms are the entire agreement between you and us with respect to the Website, and supersede all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals (whether oral, written, or electronic) between you and us with respect to the Website (but excluding the use of any software which may be subject to a separate end-user license agreement). If any provision of the Terms is found to be unenforceable or invalid, that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that the Terms will otherwise remain in full force and effect and enforceable. No waiver of any terms of this Agreement shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or any other term and our failure to assert any right or provision under this Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
Miscellaneous: The Terms are personal to you, and are not assignable, transferable, or sub-licensable by you except with our prior written consent. We may assign, transfer, or delegate any of its rights and obligations hereunder without consent. No agency, partnership, joint venture, or employment relationship is created as a result of your agreement to the Terms and neither party has any authority of any kind to bind the other in any respect. In any action or proceeding to enforce rights under the Terms, the prevailing party will be entitled to recover costs and reasonable attorneys' fees. All notices under the Terms will be in writing and will be deemed to have been duly given when received, if personally delivered or sent by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested; when receipt is electronically confirmed, if transmitted by facsimile or e-mail; or the day after it is sent, if sent for next-day delivery by recognized overnight delivery service.
Personal Information: To access, use, and/or otherwise participate in various features of the Website, you may be asked, or you may choose on your own, to provide various types of information, including personally identifiable information (e.g., your name, e-mail address, and/or mailing address). If you do not want personally identifiable information collected, please do not submit it through the site. When you subscribe, register, or simply provide personal or other types of information (e.g., by leaving comments, creating a “My Reading List” page, etc.), any information you provide to the site may be collected by Designers & Books. We may use your provided information to:
- Offer announcements, newsletters, products, and services that may be of interest to you;
- Customize the advertising and content that you see on the Website;
- Facilitate use of the Website;
- Manage your account and your preferences;
- Analyze use of and improve the Website, products and services;
- Identify and protect against fraudulent transactions and other misuses of the Website; and
Our rights to use any information you publicly share on the site shall in no case be less than the rights of any other company or individual to that information and shall specifically include the right to utilize that information in any repurposing format of our choosing, including but not limited to, books, magazines, broadcast, and online media, or any other media format that we may identify or choose.
Non-Personal Information: Designers & Books may collect information that is non-personally identifiable information or information that, by itself, cannot be used to identify or contact you (e.g., the type of Internet browser or computer operating system you use; your age, gender, income, education, profession, zip code, and other demographic information [if provided knowingly by you]; when you visited our Website; what pages you accessed; the name of the website from which you linked to our Website; and other anonymous data involving your use of our Website). This information may be used to analyze trends and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. This information is not linked to any personally identifiable information.
E-mail Announcements and Newsletters: Designers & Books may use e-mail to send announcements regarding new products, services, and/or promotions, and informational newsletters. Announcements via email are on an opt-in basis only. By registering to post material on any of our Interaction Tools (i.e., chat services, bulletin boards, message boards, other forums, and other such services available on or through the Website), you are opting in to receiving these e-mail announcements. You can choose to unsubscribe at any time by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Security: Although Designers & Books carefully selects its third-party service providers, advertisers and other affiliates, Designers & Books is sensitive to the privacy and security of your personal information, and intends to safeguard such information. However, Designers & Books and any such third parties cannot guarantee absolute security for any unauthorized access to your personal information. Such information may be transmitted through or using the Internet, other public telecommunications networks, servers, hardware, and software ("systems") that are not owned, operated, or controlled by Designers & Books, and Designers & Books makes no assurances that such information will remain private when transmitted by Designers & Books through such systems. We do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personally identifiable information or private communications are inaccessible to so-called “hackers.”
Designers & Books Website Interaction Tools: Designers & Books is not liable to you or any third parties for information posted on the Website’s Interaction Tools. You acknowledge that should you use the Interaction Tools, the information you voluntarily post about yourself and third parties in such areas might be accessed, collected, and used by third parties outside of the Designers & Books Website. Therefore Designers & Books strongly urges you not to post any personally identifiable information, such as your e-mail address, when using the interaction tools. Designers & Books cannot guarantee complete security in either the public or password-protected areas of the Website, and Designers & Books will not be liable to you for any user or other visitor's disclosure of your personal information on the Designers & Books Website.
Minors: The Designers & Books Website and its services are not directed to minors. Therefore we do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from minors. If you are under 18 years of age or the applicable age of majority in the state, province, or territory in which you live, you should not be using our service.
California Residents: Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, California residents have a right to request certain information from each business they patronize regarding that business’s disclosure of personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Generally, if a business has disclosed personal information regarding its California customers to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year, the business is required to provide, upon request and free of charge, a list of the names and addresses of all such third parties, together with a list of the categories of personal information that was disclosed. Should you require such information from Designers & Books, please direct all such requests by email to email@example.com. If you do not want your name and contact information to be shared with any company or organization, you may notify us at the above e-mail address.
No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win. Void where prohibited.
1. Overview: The “Experiences with Authors” Drawings are sponsored by Archetype Associates Incorporated d/b/a Designers and Books (“D&B” or “Sponsor”). Each Drawing begins and ends at the time indicated for it on the page of the D&B’s Book Fair website associated with the applicable book title (the "Drawing Period") (or on such other way as D&B may designate on its website or otherwise determine). Each Drawing is governed by these rules (the “Official Rules”) and is subject to all applicable U.S. federal, state and local laws. The Drawing is void wherever restricted or prohibited by law.
2. Prizes: The Prize for each Drawing consists only of the deliverables and specific components named on the page of D&B’s Book Fair website associated with the applicable book title (or on such other page as D&B may designate on its website or otherwise). The Winner is solely responsible for any travel, hotel accommodations, and any and all other costs or expenses that may in any way be connected with the winner’s acceptance or enjoyment of the Prize. For example, if acceptance of the Prize requires the winner to be present at a certain place in Connecticut, then it is the winner’s sole responsibility to get there on time and to pay costs associated with getting there. In the case of Prizes that involve meals or take place in restaurants, the Prize deliverable specifically does not include the cost of any alcoholic beverages. Prizes will be awarded following each Drawing Period, and the winners of the Prizes will be notified individually and identified by first and last name on D&B’s website (or on such other manner as D&B may designate on its website or elsewhere). The approximate retail value of each Drawing prize is $125.
3. Eligibility: The Drawing is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, excluding Florida residents, who are of legal age of majority or older in their jurisdictions of residence (and at least 18) at time of entry. Any individuals who have, within one (1) year prior to the start date of the Drawing Period, performed services for D&B or any organizations responsible for fulfilling, advertising or promoting the Drawing or supplying the Prizes, and the immediate family and household members of such individuals, are not eligible to participate in the Drawing or win a prize. "Immediate family members" shall mean parents, stepparents, children, stepchildren, siblings, stepsiblings, or spouses, regardless of their place of residence. "Household members" shall mean people who share the same residence at least three months a year, whether related or not related to entrant. In order to participate in the Drawing or receive the Prizes, entrants must fully comply with the Official Rules, and agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of D&B, whose decisions shall be binding and final in all respects.
4. How to Enter: There are two ways to enter:
a. If you purchase at the D&B Book Fair (or at such other event as D&B may determine) any book for which there is a Drawing, you will be automatically entered into the Drawing for that book at time of purchase unless you opt out of the Drawing. To complete your entry, you must supply: (i) your full name; (ii) your telephone number; (iii) your e-mail address. Failure to supply all such information will disqualify you from entry.
b. Alternatively you may submit a postcard containing the following information: (i) the name of the book connected with the Drawing you seek to enter; (ii) your full name; (iii) your telephone number; (iv) your e-mail address—to the onsite D&B representative responsible for entries.
You must submit a separate postcard for each Drawing you seek to enter.
Only five (5) entries per person per Drawing are allowed regardless of the method of entry. Purchase of more than five (5) copies of the same book for which there is a Drawing (submission of more than five  entries for the same Drawing), will result in the entrant being entered only five (5) times in the Drawing connected with that book.
Any entry submission not fully conforming with all entry criteria may be disqualified, and all disqualification decisions declared by D&B are final.
5. Selection of Winners: The winner of each Drawing will be determined by random drawing by no later than fourteen (14) days after the close of the Drawing Period (the “Selection”)—or other such time frame as declared to be necessary by D&B in the event of any circumstances beyond its control. The decisions of D&B shall be final and binding on all matters relating to all Drawings. Odds of winning a particular Drawing depend on the total number of entries received for each Drawing.
6. Winner Protocol: The potential winner will be notified by email and/or telephone within fourteen (14) days of the completion of the Selection (“Notification”)—or other such time frame as declared to be necessary by D&B. To receive their Prize, the potential winner must respond by email to D&B with notice that the potential winner accepts the Prize. The prize winner must respond by midnight EST on the 7th day after the date of Notification to be able to claim the Prize (the “Redemption Period”).
In the event the potential prize winner fails to respond within the prescribed Redemption Period for whatever reason; or is found to be ineligible to participate in the Drawing or to receive the Prize for any reason; or cannot or does not comply with the Official Rules in any way; or does not wish to accept the prize, the potential winner shall be disqualified from winning the Prize, and an alternate potential winner will be chosen in a separate random drawing. The name of the winner of each Drawing will be posted on D&B’s website (or on such other website as D&B may designate) and/or issued via social media pages of D&B, the author, the book’s publisher or via the social media of such other entities as D&B may designate (“Announcement”) or in some other such way as D&B may designate.
D&B will coordinate redemption of the Prize between the winner and the author or publisher responsible for delivering the Prize. The coordination process shall consist of D&B communicating to the winner up to two possible dates and/or times for delivery of the Prize—or other such proposal as D&B shall deem consistent with delivery of the Prize. D&B agrees to make a good faith effort to succeed in finding a time or other terms acceptable to the winner and also the author or publisher responsible for delivering the Prize. However, if none of the two proposed proposed delivery dates and/or times are acceptable to the winner, then the winner shall have only this option: transferring the prize to one other person of their choice, for the same delivery dates. If this arrangement does not result in an agreed upon time for delivery of the Prize, then the Prize will be deemed to have been forfeited and not awarded to the Winner or an alternative winner.
9. No Obligation: D&B, its agents, successors, affiliates, assigns, employees, shareholders, officers and directors shall not have any obligation or responsibility, including any responsibility to award the Prize to entrants, with regard to: (i) Purchases of the affiliated book that are for any reason refunded or rescinded; ii) Submissions that fail to comply with or violate the Official Rules; (iii) Notifications to Prize winner(s) and/or responses by Prize winner(s) that are lost, late, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, damaged or otherwise not received by the intended recipient, in whole or in part, for any reason including but not limited to computer, human or technical error of any kind; (iv) entrants who have committed fraud or deception in entering or participating in the Drawing or claiming the Prize(s); (v) electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet or computer malfunctions, failures or difficulties; (vi) any inability of the prize winner to accept or redeem the Prize(s) for any reason; or (vii) the inability of D&B or any third party to deliver the Prize(s) due to the author’s failure to appear or perform beyond D&B’s reasonable control or delays or interruptions in connection with Acts of God, natural disasters, terrorism, weather or any other similar event beyond D&B’s reasonable control.
10. Reserved Rights: D&B reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it believes to be: (i) tampering with the entry process, the operation of the Drawing or with any websites promoting the Drawing; (ii) acting in violation of the Official Rules. If D&B determines, in its sole discretion, that technical difficulties or unforeseen events compromise the integrity or viability of the Drawing, D&B reserves the right to terminate the Drawing or modify the Drawing. Except as otherwise provided in these Official Rules, no transfer, assignment, cash redemption, or substitution of prizes is permitted except by Sponsor, which may at any time substitute any prize with a prize of comparable or greater value.
11. Applicable Laws and Jurisdiction: By entering the Drawing entrant agrees to be subject to the laws of the State of New York, U.S.A. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant or D&B in connection with the Drawing, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, U.S.A. Any dispute relating to the Drawing (including the Official Rules) shall be brought in the appropriate state or federal court having jurisdiction over the subject matter located in the County of New York, U.S.A. All entrants hereby irrevocably consent to the exclusive personal jurisdiction of said courts and waive any claim of forum non conveniens or lack of personal jurisdiction they may have.
12. Entrant’s Obligations: By participating, each entrant agrees: (1) to be bound by these Official Rules, including all entry requirements; (2) that Sponsor and its designees shall have the right and permission to use (unless prohibited by law) entrant's name, address (city and state of residence), photograph and/or other likeness and prize information for advertising, promotional and/or trade and/or any other purpose in any and all media or format now known or hereafter devised throughout the world, in perpetuity, without limitation and without further compensation, consideration, permission or notification to entrants or any third parties; and (3) that D&B, all participating authors and publishers and each of their respective designees and assigns shall have no liability and will be held harmless for any liability, loss, injury or damage, including, without limitation, personal injury, death or damage to personal or real property, to entrant or any other person or entity due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by reason of the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize and/or participation in any Drawing.
13. Miscellaneous: Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify, terminate or suspend any Drawing should virus, bugs, unauthorized human intervention or other causes corrupt or impair the administration, integrity, security, fairness or proper operation of the Sweepstakes (or any portion thereof) and, in the event of termination, Sponsor, at its discretion, may select winners from those eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to the event requiring such termination.
Prize winners are responsible for all taxes, if any, payable as a result of winning or receiving the prize.
For the names of the winners after the Drawing has been conducted, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope for receipt within 90 days of the conclusion of the Drawing to:
c/o Experiences with Authors
c/o Designers & Books
80 East 11th Street
NY NY 10003.
14. Sponsor: Archetype Associates Incorporated d/b/a Designers and Books is the sponsor of all of the Drawings and is located at 80 East 11th Street, Suite 538, New York, NY 10003 U.S.A.
No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win. Void where prohibited.
1. The “Design Books to Win” Drawing (the "Drawing") sponsored by Archetype Associates Incorporated d/b/a Designers and Books (“D&B”) begins and ends at the time indicated for each Drawing (the "Drawing Period"). The Drawing is governed by these rules (the “Official Rules”), and is subject to all applicable U.S. federal, state and local laws, and also to all applicable national and local laws prevailing where any entrant resides. The Drawing is void wherever prohibited by law.
2. Prizes: Prizes will be awarded during the Drawing Period, as identified on designersandbooks.com.
3. Eligibility: The Drawing is open only to individuals 18 years of age or older or the age of majority in his/her state or territory of residence at the time of entry if such age is below 18 residing in any nation serviced by the U.S. Postal Service. Any individuals who have, within one (1) year prior to the start date of the Drawing Period, performed services for D&B or any organizations responsible for fulfilling, advertising or promoting the Drawing or supplying the Prizes, and the immediate family and household members of such individuals, are not eligible to participate in the Drawing or win a prize. "Immediate family members" shall mean parents, stepparents, children, stepchildren, siblings, stepsiblings, or spouses, regardless of their place of residence. "Household members" shall mean people who share the same residence at least three months a year, whether related or not related to entrant. In order to participate in the Drawing or receive the Prizes, entrants must fully comply with the Official Rules, and agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of D&B, whose decisions shall be binding and final in all respects.
4. How to Enter: Entrants may participate in the Drawing by submitting the following information (the “Submission”) by e-mail or Tweet: (i) your full name; (ii) your complete postal mailing address (that is served by the U.S. Postal Service; (iii) your telephone number; (iv) your e-mail address; (v) the name of the design book you wish to win; (vi) the name of your favorite design book, including title and author. The e-mail or Tweet Submission must include in the subject line the name of the design book you wish to win. If there is a drawing for more than one design book, you must submit a separate Submission for each Prize. Only one Submission is allowed per household, and only one Submission is allowed per email address. Any submission not fully conforming with all Submission criteria will be disqualified, and all disqualification decisions declared by D&B are final. Information provided in your Submission will not be passed to any third parties.
5. Selection of Winners: The winner(s) of the Drawing will be determined by random drawing or any other means deemed appropriate by D&B by no later than fourteen (14) days after the close of the Drawing Period (the “Selection”)—or other such time frame as declared to be necessary by D&B.
6. Winner Protocol: The potential winner(s) will be notified by email within fourteen (14) days of the completion of the Selection (“Notification”)—or other such time frame as declared to be necessary by D&B. The name(s) of the selected winner(s) will be posted on D&B’s website and issued via social media pages (“Announcement”). To receive their Prize(s), the potential winner(s) must respond by email to D&B with notice: (i) that the potential winner accepts the Prize; and (ii) of the potential winner’s mailing address that is served by the U.S Postal Service. The prize winner must respond within seven (7) days of the date of Notification to be able to redeem the Prize (the “Redemption Period”).
7. In the event the potential prize winner: (i) cannot be reached by email for whatever reason after a reasonable effort has been made to notify him or her; (ii) fails to respond within the prescribed Redemption Period for whatever reason; (iii) is found to be ineligible to participate in the Drawing or receive the Prize for any reason; or (iv) cannot or does not comply with the Official Rules, in any way including the Official Rules pertaining to Announcement, the potential winner shall be disqualified from winning the Prize, and an alternate potential winner will be chosen based on a separate random drawing or any other means deemed appropriate by D&B.
8. Prizes will be sent to the prize winners by U.S. Postal Service surface mail, return receipt requested.
9. No Obligation; No Tampering; Right to Terminate or Modify: D&B, its agents, successors, affiliates, assigns, employees, members, officers and directors shall not have any obligation or responsibility, including any responsibility to award the Prizes to entrants, with regard to: (i) Submissions that contain an email address that is insufficient, inaccurate or not active; (ii) Submissions that fail to comply with or violate the Official Rules; (iii) Submissions, Notifications to Prize winner(s) and/or claims by Prize winner(s) that are lost, late, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, damaged or otherwise not received by the intended recipient, in whole or in part, due to computer, human or technical error of any kind; (iv) entrants who have committed fraud or deception in entering or participating in the Drawing or claiming the Prize(s); (v) electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet or computer malfunctions, failures or difficulties; (vi) any inability of the prize winner to accept the Prize(s) for any reason; or (vii) the inability of D&B or any third party to deliver the Prize(s) due to mailing cancellation, delays or interruptions in connection with Acts of God, natural disasters, terrorism, weather or any other similar event beyond D&B’s reasonable control.
10. D&B reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be: (i) tampering with the entry process, the operation of the Drawing or with any websites promoting the Drawing; (ii) acting in violation of the Official Rules; (iii) entering or attempting to participate in the Drawing using any robotic or automated devices to submit entries. If D&B determines, in its sole discretion, that technical difficulties or unforeseen events compromise the integrity or viability of the Drawing, D&B reserves the right to terminate the Drawing or modify the Drawing.
11. By entering the Drawing entrant agrees to be subject to the laws of the State of New York, U.S.A. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant or D&B in connection with the Drawing, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, U.S.A. Any dispute relating to the Drawing (including the Official Rules) shall be brought in the appropriate state or federal court having jurisdiction over the subject matter located in the County of New York, U.S.A. Entrants hereby irrevocably consent to the personal jurisdiction of said courts and waive any claim of forum non conveniens or lack of personal jurisdiction they may have.
12. Sponsor: Archetype Associates Incorporated d/b/a Designers and Books is the sponsor of the Offer and is located at 80 East 11th Street, Suite 538, New York, NY 10003 U.S.A.
- Discover The Bolted Book, A Masterpiece of Avant-Garde Book-Making
- The Books That Inspire Five Designers from Finland and Scandinavia
- Architecture Books to Give as Gifts
- Author Q&A with Judith Turner: Seeing Ambiguity
- 15 Books on Branding and Brand Design