From the Publisher. Launched by Neville Brody and Jon Wozencroft in 1991, FUSE was the ground-breaking publication that took design and typography into radically new and unforeseen spaces. The major influence of its revolutionary and experimental approach to typographic language reverberates still, and today—twenty years after its launch—the explorations carried out by some of the most famous and influential names in the industry stand out as futuristic and ahead of their time.
Taking the alphabet as its base, and enabled by the advent of digital design, FUSE became a laboratory for new ideas and risks, as well as a hothouse of new thinking. Published over 20 editions, each issue was themed and included both fonts and posters by specially-commissioned collaborators, all of which are on show here.
To commemorate the release of issue 20, TASCHEN brings you a 416-page compendium of all the issues. Exclusive to this publication are FUSE 19 and FUSE 20, two newly-commissioned and never-before published issues, along with 10 A2 posters and 24 downloadable fonts, making this boxed edition a collector's item. This is the legacy created by the best contemporary thinkers on typeface design: the list of contributors to FUSE reads like a who’s who of typographic design, from Erik Spiekermann to Stefan Sagmeister, Peter Saville, Jonathan Barnbrook and Tobias Frere-Jones, plus many more. Editorial contributors include Adrian Shaughnessy and Jon Wozencroft.
- Book Builder: A Conversation with Irma Boom
- Book List of the Week: Stefan Sagmeister
- 15 Books on China and Design
- The Paris Review: 60 Years of Substance and Style
- 10 Books Designed by Irma Boom
- Win Copies of Books on Two Great Modernists: Adolf Loos and Paul T. Frankl
- 15 Books on Art Deco
- Book List of the Week: Carlo Ratti
- 4 Books on Adolf Loos
- Quote of the Day: Carlo Ratti & Smart Cities
- Win Copies of Fifty Years of Illustration and TM: The Untold Stories Behind 29 Classic Logos
- Win a Copy of Urban Acupuncture by Visionary Urbanist Jaime Lerner
- Designers & Books Curates a Book Fair @ Dwell on Design NY, October 9–11
- Win a Copy of Being: An Architect by Ian Ritchie
- Win Design Books at the Designers & Books Fair @Dwell on Design New York, Through Oct. 11