From the Publisher. Mirko Ilić has a reputation as a rebel, but his iconoclasm is matched with tremendous gifts as an illustrator, a designer, and an educator. Ilić is a visionary and a leading voice of visual culture across disciplines and continents.
This visual biography of one of the most prolific and distinguished designers of the last half century traces Ilić’s formative years as a precocious youth in Yugoslavia during the Communist-bloc era; his early illustrations for comic books and magazines; and his eventual move to the United States, where he quickly achieved notoriety as the art director of Time magazine’s international edition and the New York Times’ op-ed pages. As a designer, Ilić has constantly pushed his craft to new limits, experimenting and reinventing himself at every turn.
Throughout his illustrious career, Ilić has collaborated with design luminaries like Steven Heller and Milton Glaser. He has designed album covers for Rage Against the Machine, created film titles for You’ve Got Mail, and written or designed a number of books, including Genius Moves, The Design of Dissent, The Anatomy of Design, and Stop Think Go Do.
He has taught advanced design classes at Cooper Union with Milton Glaser and now teaches illustration at the School of Visual Arts. His studio, Mirko Ilić Corp., has received awards from the Society of Illustrators, the Society of Publication Designers, the Art Directors Club, I.D., Print, and HOW.
- Book Builder: A Conversation with Irma Boom
- Win a Copy of Being: An Architect by Ian Ritchie
- Book List of the Week: Stefan Sagmeister
- 15 Books on China and Design
- The Paris Review: 60 Years of Substance and Style
- Being an Architect/Being a Writer: Ian Ritchie and Witold Rybczynski in Conversation
- Weekly Wrap-Up & Preview: September 26
- Book List of the Week: Ian Ritchie
- Quote of the Day: Ian Ritchie & The Eyes of the Skin: Architecture and the Senses
- Win a Copy of the New Issue of Harvard Design Magazine
- Win Two Fashion Books: Killer Heels and The SFP LookBook: Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Fall/Winter 2014 Collections
- Do You Read Me?: Harvard Design Magazine Re-launches with an Issue on Reading
- Covering Reading: A Conversation with Book Cover Designer Peter Mendelsund
- Win Copies of Two Books by Peter Mendelsund