From the Publisher. For centuries, artists and designers have looked to nature for inspiration and for materials, but only recently have they become able to incorporate living organisms or tissues into their work. Bio Design surveys recent design and art projects that harness living materials and processes, presenting bio-integrated approaches to sustainability, new innovations enabled by biotechnology, and provocative experiments that deliberately illustrate the dangers and opportunities in manipulating life for human ends. The first publication to focus on this new phenomenon and closely examine how it fits into the history of architecture, art, and industrial design, this volume contextualizes the shift toward bio design through comparisons to previous transitions in art and design practice, clarifying its implications for the future.
- 50 Books on Type and Typography
- The 10 Best Architecture and Design Films
- 10 Books on Branding and Brand Design
- Banned by Design: Top 10 Controversial Titles of the 20th Century
- 3 Lists of Books Every Fashion Designer Should Read