Ivan Chermayeff’s work as a designer, painter, and illustrator has been exhibited throughout the U. S., Europe, the former Soviet Union, and Japan, and has received numerous awards from the Type Directors Club, the American Institute of Graphic Arts, the Society of Illustrators, and the Art Directors Club of New York. In 1981, Chermayeff received the President’s Fellow Award from the Rhode Island School of Design and an honorary Doctor of Laws from Portland School of Arts. He was named to the Art Directors Club of New York Hall of Fame in 1982.
In 1991, Chermayeff received a Doctorate in Fine Arts (Honorary) from both the Corcoran Gallery of Art (Washington, D.C.) and The University of the Arts (Philadelphia). Chermayeff has received the title Royal Designer for Industry from the British Royal Society of Arts and Commerce (RDI Hon) in recognition of his achievements in graphic design.
Ivan Chermayeff is a past president of the American Institute of Graphic Arts and former vice president of the Yale Arts Association. He was a trustee of The Museum of Modern Art in New York for 20 years and was a member of the Board of Directors of the International Design Conference in Aspen from 1967 to 1998. He also has been a National Trustee of the Smithsonian Institution.
Chermayeff is a principal with Tom Geismar and Sagi Haviv in their firm, Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv, specializing in identity design, exhibition design, motion graphics, and art in architecture.
- Book Builder: A Conversation with Irma Boom
- Book List of the Week: Stefan Sagmeister
- 15 Books on China and Design
- 5 Books Featuring Bruno Munari
- The Paris Review: 60 Years of Substance and Style
- Win Copies of Books on Two Great Modernists: Adolf Loos and Paul T. Frankl
- 15 Books on Art Deco
- Book List of the Week: Carlo Ratti
- 4 Books on Adolf Loos
- Quote of the Day: Carlo Ratti & Smart Cities
- Win Copies of Fifty Years of Illustration and TM: The Untold Stories Behind 29 Classic Logos
- Win a Copy of Urban Acupuncture by Visionary Urbanist Jaime Lerner
- Designers & Books Curates a Book Fair @ Dwell on Design NY, October 9–11
- Win a Copy of Being: An Architect by Ian Ritchie
- Win Design Books at the Designers & Books Fair @Dwell on Design New York, Through Oct. 11