Juhani Pallasmaa (b. 1936), architect SAFA, Hon. FAIA, Int FRIBA, and professor, runs his architectural office in Helsinki. He has been active in urban planning, architecture, and exhibition/product/graphic design since the early 1960s. He has held many positions, including Professor and Dean, Helsinki University of Technology (1991–97); Director of the Museum of Finnish Architecture (1978–83); and Rector of the Institute of Design, Helsinki (1970–71). He has held several visiting professorships in the U. S. and lectured widely in Europe, North and South America, Africa, and Asia: he has served as the Plym Distinguished Professor, University of Illinois (2010); Raymond E. Maritz Visiting Professor, Washington University in St. Louis (1999–2004); Thomas Jefferson Visiting Professor, University of Virginia (2002); Eero Saarinen Visiting Professor, Yale University (1993); and Associate Professor, Haile Selassie I University, Addis Ababa (1972–74). Pallasmaa has published 30 books and more than 300 essays in 30 languages, including The Embodied Image (2011), The Thinking Hand (2009), Encounters: Architectural Essays (2005) and Encounters 2 (2012), The Architecture of Image: Existential Space in Cinema (2001 and 2007), and The Eyes of the Skin: Architecture and the Senses (1996 and 2005).
He is the recipient of honorary doctorates in the arts from Helsinki University of Industrial Arts (1993) and the Estonian Academy of Art (2004); and an honorary doctorate in technology from the Helsinki University of Technology (1998).
Pallasmaa has also received a number of international and Finnish architectural and cultural prizes and awards.
- Book Builder: A Conversation with Irma Boom
- Win a Copy of Being: An Architect by Ian Ritchie
- Book List of the Week: Stefan Sagmeister
- 15 Books on China and Design
- The Paris Review: 60 Years of Substance and Style
- Being an Architect/Being a Writer: Ian Ritchie and Witold Rybczynski in Conversation
- Weekly Wrap-Up & Preview: September 26
- Book List of the Week: Ian Ritchie
- Quote of the Day: Ian Ritchie & The Eyes of the Skin: Architecture and the Senses
- Win a Copy of the New Issue of Harvard Design Magazine
- Win Two Fashion Books: Killer Heels and The SFP LookBook: Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Fall/Winter 2014 Collections
- Do You Read Me?: Harvard Design Magazine Re-launches with an Issue on Reading
- Covering Reading: A Conversation with Book Cover Designer Peter Mendelsund
- Win Copies of Two Books by Peter Mendelsund