Bruce Hannah’s Book List
I was introduced to reading in my junior year at Pratt by Rowena Reed Kostellow, my mentor and teacher. After reading something I’d written, she suggested that I start reading the profiles in The New Yorker. Her thinking went that if you read well-written stuff, you would write better. I suggest books to my students for that very reason.
I’ve come to understand that most books, in the end, are about design in some way or another. The plots of most novels are designed, and the people who inhabit them are all struggling with creativity in one way or another. Books are also touchstones that remind us of something (or someone) that moves us or challenges us. Reading is also just plain fun, which may be its greatest pleasure.
- 15 Books on Branding and Brand Design
- 20 Books on Furniture Design
- The 10 Best Architecture and Design Films
- 4 Lists of Books Every Architect Should Read
- 3 Lists of Books Every Fashion Designer Should Read