Rudy VanderLans’s Book List
The books I’ve listed here came to mind immediately upon receipt of the invitation. They have inspired my design, photography, and editing work, and I know that I’ve learned from them and often refer back to them. What exactly I’ve learned from them is difficult to determine. But my work has improved over the years—at the very least it has grown more mature—and that didn’t happen all by itself. I blame that on the books I’ve read, particularly the ones listed here.
Also, I love this website. Just the fact that anybody would care to make such a big deal about books and about what designers read gives me hope. It feels good to know that people are still interested in books, particularly printed books. And I love it when a new technology is used to celebrate an old one.
- 50 Books on Type and Typography
- 3 Lists of Books Every Fashion Designer Should Read
- 3 Lists of Books Every Interior Designer Should Read
- You Are What You Read: A New Book Series from Designers & Books — Special Preview from Denise Scott Brown
- 20 Books on Furniture Design