From the Publisher. Intended both as an introductory text for students and professionals in the field as well as an accessible read for the general public, Understanding Architecture addresses the basic principles of architecture. The volume is organized in 12 series of chapters based on a key architectural themes - including space, time, matter, gravity, light, silence, dwelling, ritual, memory, landscape, and place. Each chapter begins with an introductory essay, and includes a wide variety of historical examples from around the world, followed by in-depth analysis of 6 key buildings that further exemplify the theme of that chapter. By combining a broad historical sweep with a jargon-free architectural study of space and the direct experience of architecture, this volume is a unique introduction to the experience of architecture.
- Save the Dates for Designers & Books Fair 2015 in NYC, October 2, 3, 4
- The 10 Best Architecture and Design Films
- Designers & Books Fair 2015 Comes to NYC This Weekend, Oct. 2–4
- 15 Books on Branding and Brand Design
- 3 Lists of Books Every Fashion Designer Should Read