Maira Kalman’s Book List
The authors I love tend to be lyrical and slightly absurd in one way or another. You could read any or all of the books by the authors listed. There are photographers you should look at—such as Diane Arbus and August Sander—who all have monographs. There are children’s book authors and illustrators that you should know—like Ludwig Bemelmans and William Steig.
But mainly, just read. That will show the way. Walk to a garden. Take a book with you, maybe a cup of coffee or tea. Just sit under a tree and read. That is the only answer to everything.
- Win a Copy of Dieter Rams: As Little Design as Possible — iBooks edition for iPad
- Book List of the Week: Six French Designers and the Books That Inspire Them
- Weekly Wrap-Up & Preview: August 29
- 25 Books on Gardens, Landscape, and Design
- Charles James: Beyond Fashion: A Conversation with Harold Koda
- Win a Copy of Dezeen Book of Interviews
- Dezeen Book of Interviews: A Conversation with Marcus Fairs
- Book List of the Week: Deborah Sussman (1931-2014)